Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Parenting a 14 Year Old Daughter

Life is tough these days with my teenager in the house. The drama never ends. She is so moody...one minute she is my sweet little SweetPea, the next a raving monster that no way came from my womb. Where did I go wrong? She is a slob, lazy, rude, and did I say a lazy slob??? I have taught her everything right..or so I thought. I keep a clean house, don't like messy and my bedroom is ALWAYS picked up and the bed made. She on the other hand revels in the chaotic disarray of it all. I don't remember when she made her bed last - if ever. Her clean clothes are on the floor instead of put away. Only she knows what is clean and what is dirty. I say she uses the floor as her very own personal washing machine. Leave the dirties on the floor long enough (wash) and they miraculously become clean again after a few days of stepping all over them (rinse)!!! Hail to the floor Gods for taking care of them for her! I am done with washing and folding her stuff...just to have them end up all over the floor! Am I repeating myself? Been here before, me thinks.

Then....I go in her room, when she is sleeping, to wake her in the morning...mind you...it is a scary feat to walk in there...and I see her sweet, beautiful precious face and my heart melts all over again (as it does daily) and I realize how much I love her. So much more than any other human on this planet. Gods gift to me. I am so lucky...

15 comments:

Dee said...

Uugh...my son and I had this argument all the time, but then I just said the hell with it! He has to live in that room, I could always just shut the door! The people that came to my house to visit were my friends, and they all had teenagers too so they understood! Sometimes with a teenager you have to pick your battles! Now that my son is on his own...you wouldn't believe what a neat freak he is! Lol... Best of luck!

Debralee said...

It helps to know we are not alone with this struggle. Thanks for the words of wisdom!!

Latsyrc728 said...

14 year old...good luck! I'm following from Friday Follow
http://www.thriftyandfrugalliving.com

Audrey said...

I'd like to say that I'm glad I have boys - however my oldest was like that too. It's not just a teenage girl thing.
Following you from friday follow!

Jenny said...

I'm following from Friday Follow spot 112. I remember these years and they are tough ones. If you can try and make sure she has some purpose...get her involved in things outside herself. Sometimes that helps!

Unknown said...

Hello, I am a new Friday Follower! I also have a 14 year old girl, soon to be 15 on 2/17!

Messy room? ha, more like a disaster, I finally gave up, I just don't understand, as a teenager I had a clean room, no kidding, really, I did! Funny thing, my 13 yr old son has a clean room! I guess we just need to pick our battles!

~Lauri
http://knitsandreads.blogspot.com

Deeka's Lair said...

Aww, big hugs... teenagers drain it out of you don't they? I remember wanting my little boy back haha.

Following you from Friday Follow. Have a great day!

http://dreamweaversculpts.blogspot.com/
http://sonyasgrooming.blogspot.com/

Shelley said...

Visiting from "Friday Follow"! I'm your newest follower! Love for you to stop by and visit me!

Have a great weekend!
~Shelley

Annie said...

Following you from Friday Follow.

Have a nice weekend.

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

My daughter is just about to turn 5. I'm not looking forward to the teen years. Wish I could freeze time. You've got just a wee 5-8 years before life gets good again when the hormones ebb. Good luck!

Following from Friday Follow!

Amy said...

Following from Friday Follow! Keep your chin up about your daughter. It's a phase that she WILL grow out of eventually. I was in college before I grew out of it. Now I'm the biggest neat freak on the planet. :) Good luck!

Katie said...

There is nothing more regenerating than a peaceful sleeping child no matter what the age.

Dimes2Vines said...

Time goes by so quickly - old on you will be through this before you know it!
Stopping by from Fri Follows - I'm a new follower. Love to have you stop by:
http://dimes2vines.com

Mom et al said...

Hi, slightly belated Friday follow.

Come visit me at Mom-et-al.com

-Maria

/

Anonymous said...

They like their rooms like that! Thanks for participating in Friday Follow. I am catching up to the links. Rita @ http://one2try.blogspot.com/